Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Road Trip

I remember the first day of kindergarten, no really I do, MOM.  I know I was excited to go to school because my mom tells me how she had to hold me back from chasing the school bus down everyday.  My mom stayed home with me and my brother was born when I was in kindergarten, so those first 5 years it was just me for the most part and I was READY for some FRIENDS!!!  So the first day, they put us all in the multi-purpose room at Ridgecrest Elementary school and gave us jump ropes and hula-hoops and probably balls.  But I chose a jump rope and I jumped all over until I met a little blonde girl named Laurie.  I remember looking around and there were kids crying and I remember thinking, "what is wrong with them, this is the greatest thing EVER!!!"  Probably similar to how I left for college, "bye mom and dad!" *runs away with new friends, is how I started that first day of kindergarten.  So when Dietrich was born I remember thinking I want him to feel that way, not afraid but excited about going off and trying new things!

A few months ago he surprised me by asking to go spend the night at Grandma Jane's.  It's an hour and a half away so I was afraid that if he got upset about it there was nothing we could do, we weren't going to go get him.  But it was great timing since Mom was here and could take him home with her and she was already planning to come back the next day.  So he went and he wasn't worried about me at all and when he came home he was like "hey" not nearly as excited as I was after not seeing him for 24 hours!

Over the weekend Grammy Laurel invited Dietrich to go with her to Seattle to visit his cousins for two days, and then we will be there for the rest of the weekend.  When I asked him, he was so excited he was ready to leave right then.  When I woke him up on Tuesday morning "Dietrich, it's time to wake up."  He stood up, groaned, and said "I'm ready to get in Grammy's car."  When I told him "I will miss you!" He said, "we can talk on the phone."  

He gave me two kisses said "I love you!  Bye!"  and he hasn't looked back.  We talked on the phone last night and he told me about all the fun he is having with his cousin Nathan.  This morning he called to tell me he "waked up" and then he was off and playing again.  Although I miss him, and I worry about him being so far away, I am so happy that he is brave and excited and not afraid!  I can't wait to see him tomorrow and give him a big hug, so he can run away and play some more.




No comments:

Post a Comment