Tuesday, February 9, 2010

There's a hole in the house

The cupboards are still coming along, between our already busy lives and the 4 hours of drying time, it takes a while to get all those cupboard doors done. But the hinges arrived yesterday which puts us one step closer to having cupboard doors back on these cupboards! On Saturday I got home from having lunch with my mom and my mother-in-law to find Bryce and my father-in-law cutting a hole in the side of the house.

The hood over our stove was not vented outside, it recirculated back into the house. If you have a vent that does this you will notice that when you cook something especially smoky, none of the smoke actually gets sucked out of the house, it's just blown back into the house, resulting in the fire alarms going off. This sort of thing really bothers Bryce because "it's wrong." So he decided to vent it out of the house, as usual it proved to be a little more difficult than we had hoped. Most of the difficulty stems from the fact that our house is ridiculously tall and we do not have a ladder that is tall enough. So we borrowed one from friends, but it was only barely tall enough...but somehow they made it work.

Here is Bryce working on drilling a hole to the outside wall, this tool is VERY old, and I don't recall what it is called, but I do know that after this project he had to rewire it because apparently the wiring was so old it would shock you once in a while.

There it is, a hole to the outside! This project made me a little nervous, I could just see holes in all the wrong places on the side of our house...but the hole was done perfectly.
Measuring sheet-rock to replace where the tile and sheet-rock had to be torn out behind the hood.
The finished product. It now vents outside perfectly and we just need to keep any bugs or animals from moving in until we get a screen on the outside. The tile that was removed was ruined and it also ruined the sheet-rock. So when we get around to replacing all of the back-splash we will also have to replace the sheet-rock, it doesn't look perfect yet, but it's not that noticeable. And I have lived with a giant hole in the closet door of the bathroom for almost a year now, so I'm sure this will blend in soon as well!

1 comment:

  1. David and I both got a kick out of this post. I know the "it's wrong" twitch that Bryce gets...I wonder what is going to happen when all the "wrong" things in your house get fixed...hmmm, he might actually get bored!

    ReplyDelete