Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Because everyone needs another project around here...

Look at this...
That's right, it's an old car...
But not just any old car. This car was purchased BRAND NEW in 1949 by Bryce's Great-Grandpa August Eschenbacher. He had to drive all the way to...(there is debate on this but it might have been Fargo) from Froid Montana. Several years ago Bryce's Dad went to Froid to pick it up. It had been garaged after they quit driving it until the cousin's who now own the farm decided it was in the way and they moved it out under a tree. Bryce's Dad decided to sell it to cousin Eric (pictured below) and when he didn't do anything with it Bryce offered to buy it from Eric. And then I married Bryce, so I guess that makes us the proud owners of this awesome old car.
Since Bryce lived in an apartment when he bought it his nice friend Jesse (below) let him store it at his house. But now he is married and his wife was ready for it to move on down the road. So last weekend we picked it up. Our amazing mechanic John Vandervert (Vandervert's Auto Repair, we highly recommend them) let us borrow his very nice car trailer so that we could move it home. Check this out these old tires actually HOLD air!
Look who gets to drive the car onto the trailer. Of course it's me! Because that is always my job. Someone needs a car on a trailer, let's call Keely! She'll do it!
Here's a picture of the steering wheel, since I was in here for a while during the car loading process. I think it's really cool.
Apparently Great-Grandpa August used this car like a truck. Why he didn't buy a truck? Who knows! But he bought this car. And when a new calf was born he would throw it in the back seat. Need to move some hay out to cows? Throw it on the back seat of the Packard! Inside is dirty? We'll just hose 'er down!



Look how happy these boys are to bring this car home!
Dietrich is helping Daddy make sure the car is on there nice a secure. Look Mom! I'm ready, I've got my keys and everything. (Dude, your son is in a pink flowery car seat. Shhh...don't tell him, it was on sale.)
And here she is. Parked lovingly next to our house. Bryce is very excited to tinker on this in his spare time (yeah right, like there is any of that around here), and I am excited to take the finished product to a car show someday...like when we are 50.

3 comments:

  1. That car is cool. And I'm pretty sure you guys don't have enough projects right now, so it's a good thing you added another one.

    Your comment about the carseat just cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I especially LOVE the picture of Bryce and Dietrich! Alan and I giggled as we read this last night ... I think Grandpa Gus is very happy that you and Bryce are excited to restore the Packard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ... maybe Dietrich can drive it to prom! He's already got his keys.

    ReplyDelete