Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Walking Mom's

You know that movie about the girl who wants to be in the "cool" group but always does something embarrassing or trips and they laugh at her? I was feeling kind of like that girl. There is this mom in my neighborhood, she has a double stroller and I see her walk by everyday. So I knew she must live on my street. I walk every day too, and a couple of times we have passed each other and said good morning. I wanted to run up to her and say "will you be my friend so we can walk together!?" But I refrained.

One day her and a couple of other moms went walking by with their strollers full of kids just as I came tripping over dogs and my stroller trying to get out of the back yard (insert embarrassing tripping moment in front of cool crowd laughter here). But then one day while I was walking alone with my jogging stroller and two dogs (apparently this looks funny, people comment on it all the time when they see me) she came up to me! She said "you live on my street don't you? we should walk together!" YAY!!! I jumped up and down on the inside. And then in my totally cool calm voice said, that would be great!

So for a couple of weeks now we have been walking together, not everyday but close to it. She has two little ones who are 4 and 2 and then Dietrich, me and the dogs. I feel like I have officially been accepted into the "Mom" club. Yesterday we walked with another friend of her's who has FOUR kids. She only brought two along for the walk. It is pretty hilarious watching us three strollers and two dogs wide walk down the street. Usually one of the kids is screaming (although so far Dietrich has not participated in this game), but we just keep talking. About Mom stuff of course. A lot of which I can't really participate in just yet since my mom duties only involve diapers and nursing, they both have moved on to the school and sports aspects, which apparently take up a whole lotta time. I'm feeling pretty special about my entry into this new club and my fun morning walks with the neighborhood Mama's!

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how when you become a mama, especially a SAHM, you get purty lonely.

    I'm so excited for you to have new friends, that's awesome! And I love that you tripped in front of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get this! I made a new friend this summer when both our kids were playing at the park and I was sooo excited (on the inside, of course). Now we text and get together for play dates...um, for the kids of course.

    I'm so glad you have walking mom friends!

    ReplyDelete