Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Fireplace

So almost immediately after I wrote the post about our New Year's resolutions Bryce and I both started projects around the house. I was so excited, a week into January and I was going to show you all the amazing things we had accomplished! But then, as you know, projects always take longer than planned and January has come and gone and neither project is done. So I am going to show you MY project. That's right the project I planned to do all by myself, "don't worry Bryce, you won't have to do any work here, I have it under control!" I started by priming the ugly black fireplace:
Then I painted it. After painting the WHOLE thing I discovered this color was not right...
Attempt number 2, this color was just what I was looking for. SO much better than the black! So happy to have the black gone!
Then I thought, hey, they put those peel and stick tiles on stuff all the time on HGTV and what a quick and easy way to cover up the grey tile of the fireplace until we decide what to do with it permanently. Well, peel and stick tile does not stick to the tile that was already there so...."Bryce I can totally do this by myself just show me how." "Okay, Bryce there really is no time in my day where I can rip out tile without having a 9 month old try to eat it." "Bryce I am really sorry that my little project is now taking time away from your project..." And so Bryce ripped out the tile, which of course damaged the sheet rock:
And oh, what is this behind the sheet rock in the fireplace?
That's right! Dead birds! AWESOME!
So with brand new sheet rock up, I attempted the peel and stick tile again. Apparently it only works on a flat surface. So much for my simple little project. Now I will be learning how to do tile. It will be so nice to have the fireplace all redone and beautiful, so you know, maybe sometime in February I can post my finished "after" pictures for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment