Saturday, December 10, 2011

Smelly

You know how a smell can just bring back so many memories! Like every time I wash my hands with bath and body works peppermint soap I think there should be cookies in the oven. I just received one of those e-mails where you are supposed to answer some questions and pass it on, I'm not so good at the passing on part, but I enjoy answering the questions. One of the questions was name your 4 favorite smells. I listed my favorites and then realized I wanted to talk about them, so here you go! :)

1. Babies just out of the bath. They smell so fresh and clean and delicious, you just want to eat them. On Wednesday's my mother-in-law comes over to play with Dietrich while I do whatever I want, and she always gives him a bath. That's my favorite, he smells all fresh and clean and is so cuddly in his jammies and somebody else made him that way. This thought brought me back to when he was a brand new baby and somebody holding him said "I just love how brand new babies smell!" It was then that I realized I hadn't yet smelled my baby, I had the worst cold of my life (I am not kidding, worst every) the day he was born, I couldn't smell anything for at least a week after that. I wanted to cry because I didn't know what my baby smelled like!

2. Anything baking. I mean how couldn't you love that smell? Something delicious in the oven which will be ready for my consumption soon, awesome.

3. The woods on a really hot summer day. This is such a hard smell to describe because I'm sure it's different in different "types" of woods. It's one of those smells that just hits you all of the sudden when you are traipsing through the woods. Sometimes it's while heading down to the lake while camping, or while riding a horse out in the woods, while out hiking, or even while mowing the lawn (but only at my mom's house, we don't get that smell at our house). It just always brings me back to time on my horse on lazy summer days. The smell was even there in the woods when I worked in Montana, it's a very relaxing smell to me.

4. Fresh paint. This one might be a little weird because it's not so much that I think the paint smells good, I just really love how a room "feels" right after it's been painted, and the smell is part of that. Something has been accomplished and that just always feels really good.

So there is my rather random post for the day, maybe it will make you think of your favorite smells and the memories that go with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment