Friday, May 18, 2012

Pete Yorn

I usually try not to post twice in one day but today I'm going to.  One of the blogs I like to read wrote today about hearing a Pete Yorn song and it bringing back all these memories of her time traveling alone through Europe.  Every time I hear Pete Yorn I remember this trip I took with my boyfriend at the time from Spokane to Bellingham.  We went through Seattle and it was January.  I don't remember why he rolled done the window on my side but he did.  And then...then it wouldn't go back up.  We had to take his truck because he couldn't drive my car, it was a stick shift.  Then the window wouldn't go up. I rode for at least two hours with the window partly down and the cold January air blowing all over me.  I sort of wore my coat and used it to protect my face from the cold air blowing in.

All I could think was, I cannot believe I am with someone who A. can't drive my car (which is a way nicer car by the way) B. can't fix the window and C. hasn't offered to let me drive and get out of the wind.  During this lovely freezing cold part of the trip we listened to a Pete Yorn CD.

When we stopped about 20 minutes from our destination he and a friend tried to cover the window with a coat or something when the friend realized that if he carefully pushed the window up while someone else rolled the window up they could get it closed.  I cannot tell you how angry this simple fix made me.  But especially how little the boy seemed to care about my discomfort for the past few hours.

While at our destination he left me with his friend's kid for a very long time.  As if I was there to babysit?!  He told me he loved me on this little weekend getaway.  Really?!  He stayed up until the wee hours of the morning drinking way too much with his friends the night before we needed to leave.  I had told him I was happy to drive part of the way as long as it wasn't through Seattle, you know small town girl, not a lot of traffic experience.  Guess what?  I had to drive all the way through Seattle because he had to sleep off his hangover.  Now I was mad because I could be driving my car instead of his stupid truck if he knew how to drive a stick shift.

I was driving when we headed up Snoqualamie pass.  It's a nasty pass mostly because there is so much traffic and a lot of people on it who aren't really used to driving in the snow.  Of course the pass was closed while we were on it and we had to sit and wait for several hours (this sort of thing used to happen to me ALL the time).  Then when we got going again it was so slick and that stupid truck slid all over the place (my car would not have).  We had to stop at the first place we could to get food and use the bathroom and do you know that I got stuck trying to go up the hill into the parking lot and then, THEN I drove that stupid truck into a huge hole in the snow.  And it was REALLY REALLY stuck.  I jumped out of that truck slammed the door and told him I wasn't driving anymore.  Then spent a good 30 minutes waiting in line to use the bathroom.

He got the truck out and I slept most of the drive home.  We broke up shortly after that trip and I vowed to never marry anyone who couldn't drive a stick shift (my mom prefers rules like "never been to jail" but you know, to each their own).  When I met Bryce it was one of the first things I asked him, and he can drive a stick shift.  He can also fix a broken window and would never make me ride in the cold without at the very least feeling really badly about it.

It is amazing the memories that a song can bring back.

1 comment:

  1. Songs often do me in whether I want them to or not. Amazing how you just can't control the emotions, feelings, memories, etc that are tied to a song.

    Also, your "to each his own" killed me. So funny. I'd take someone who's been in jail over not being able to drive a stick, too. :)

    ReplyDelete