Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Kate's Veil

So we are smack dab in the middle of another pre-wedding week (sister-in-law Bekah) and the pictures were just finished from Paul and Kate's wedding.  So I have been spending nap time looking at them over and over because oh my gosh my brother got married and I was there (most of the time) and it was just so wonderful and beautiful!  

Kate and her mom invited my mom and myself to go cake tasting with her a few months before the wedding.  We also got to go to the winery where the wedding was and help pick the wine that they would serve.  Then we helped her pick out a hair piece and since that place was right across from the bridal shop they let her take the piece and try it on with her dress.  So I also got to see her dress!  It was great to get to spend some time with her since I feel like I don't know her that well and they live so far away!  Anyway, they brought out a birdcage veil for her to try with her dress and it was so pretty, but also $50 (or so) and I looked at it and figured I could make the same thing for a lot less.  So when we were down in Winnemucca in June I talked to Kate about it to see what she was looking for exactly and offered to make her a veil.  I wasn't sure at the time if she wanted me to make it or if she preferred to buy the one from the store (which I wanted to buy for her if she did, to give her a little something for taking great pictures of the kids this spring!)  

Kate's mom found her mother's veil and took it off the hairpiece it was attached to, washed it and passed it on to me.  I'm not going to lie, I was a little panicky holding onto an old piece of veil and needing to turn it into exactly what Kate wanted.  I felt a little bit of pressure to not mess things up!  The veil came to me in a perfect circle which made it really easy to work with.  It only took me a few minutes to gather the back of the veil and sew it onto a small hair comb.  There were a few holes in the veil and fortunately I had just bought a really heavy duty stiff thread for mending our tent that was exactly the color of the veil.  I tied tiny knots around the holes pulling the veil back together and hopefully looking like it did originally.  

When the veil was taken off the original hair piece there was a big white spot where the veil was gathered together.  This spot sat right toward the front of the veil and would be very visible.  I showed it to Kate and she really liked the veil, then I showed her my idea of covering the white spot with some thread I had that looks like peacock feathers (peacock was the theme of the wedding), she loved it!  So the morning of the wedding I attached the little blue bit of feathery thread over the white spot on the veil, I think the whole thing only took me maybe 20 minutes to fix up but I think it turned out great, she seemed to really like it and I think it's very special to wear this piece that was her Grandma's (I wore my Grandma's hairpiece in our wedding too).  She even mentioned in her program that I had made the veil for her. And since everything I did was tied on it could be taken apart and used in a different way in the future, if somebody wanted too. 

It turned out to be a very pretty and unique piece!
~photo credit: ginnytaylorphotography
Thanks Kate for letting me be a part of your day in this special way!  

No comments:

Post a Comment